Finder

Monday 1 November 2010

Movie#67 The Ghost Writer

This work is thought provoking. Although it is claimed as fiction, it can also put seeds of doubt into lot of people and also provide a clarification to the nick name, 'poodle' of an ex– leader in an european country. It is not impossible for such an act of infiltration, but in a world where children are told not to lie, in schools, while perceive lies all around them, much to their distress; such an incident, if happened or happening, is acceptable.
Renting this movie, I had my doubts. I was under the impression that it was a dour political drama. I thought I could take my time to watch it and shall do it in 2–3 sittings. The movie is fairly long, almost 2 hours and 15 mins with credit. It stars superb actors such as Pierce Brosnan, Ewan McGregor and Olivia Williams. The story gist is that a writer is hired by ex–  prime minister of England to be the ghost writer for his memoirs. The previous ghost writer had died under mysterious circumstances and patchy investigation had concluded that it was death due to drowning under the influence of alcohol. Anything more in the gist about the story line would be a give away of the superb build up and thrill involved. But I think that the end could have been done better, but it served enough for the gruesomeness of the tale. Once it started, I found it impossible to stop and watched it in one sitting. The intrigue and the twists are excellent. The plot is thick and manages to hold the thrilling mystery until the very end. The dialogues and crisp, and there is humour peppered within them. The acting and directing (Roman Polanski) are par excellence. The shooting locale serves up for the mystery and thrill.
While watching this, it also made me think about a recent newspaper report in my home country. The report was that of heir to prime ministership of my country had a girl friend while pursuing studies abroad. But all of a sudden that relationship came to an end. The report splashed her photo and it surprised me that while there were reports of 'fame and money' seeking women disclose of their relationship with famous men for all kinds of benefits, how come this woman had kept mum even after such a news tickle? And it was also reported that the break up was allegedly due to the instruction from his famous mother. Then how strong a man is he? There were also suggestions that he sacrificed his love to be the future leader of his country without distractions. The man in questions is currently hovering 40, I think. Does such a sacrifice really needed to be a leader? Is there a hidden story or twist like in this movie? Questions and questions, I know. Thats what this movie did to me. I rate this movie as a MUST WATCH with a 5 out of 5 rating…

No comments:

Post a Comment