Finder

Monday 22 November 2010

Movie#80 Black Death

What a drag! This movie is clearly over hyped. I took this one from the store after reading a review from a gossip magazine. Now I understand that certain review writers could be paid employees of production houses and 'above fair' reviews could be marketing strategy. It stars Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne.
The gist of the movie is about the time of plague in Europe. People are dying and the church conveniently blames it as the wrath of God. Guess, marketing strategies were designed very long back. The church also learns that a certain village was not affected by plague because they followed ungodly ways including black magic. It forms a group of warriors (mercenaries in my opinion) to capture the leader of black magic and investigate why that village was spared. With the help of a monk, they set out to that village. Well, that is the teaser for you. Don't you feel curious to know the end? I had, and that was what made me rent it.
The whole movie is 'colourless'. The setting has a grey tinge till the end. The story is very straight forward. Out of the many actors in it, I don't find and worthy to mention about. The monk stayed true to his character though, an idiot. No enjoyable music, no pretty sceneries, no special effects, no worthy fight scenes etc. I'm sure that the director would have dozed off one or few times while directing this because of the dull story. Now for the positives–  I'm a fan of medieval movies. I had mentioned this before at some other blog. The costumes, I think, were excellent. The shabbiness and the ruggedness of characters were also brought forward nicely.
My personal rating is 2.5 out of 5…

No comments:

Post a Comment